Revision of REACH and CLP Regulations
- The second Ad-hoc CARACAL on the CLP Delegated Act happened on 29 November 2022. The publication of the final delegated act is planned for 19 December. According to EEB and Chemtrust, the PMT/vPvM criteria improved, with the removal of a phrase requested by industry to make the identification of mobility more difficult.
- The Commission’s draft impact assessment for the revision of REACH received the green light from the Regulatory Scrutiny Board on 17 November 2022. The Regulatory Scrutiny Board is an independent body within the Commission issuing opinions and recommendations on all the Commission’s draft impact assessments, fitness checks, and major evaluations of existing legislation. Its positive opinion is mandatory before an initiative with an impact assessment can be adopted by the Commission. The Commission can now start preparing the legislative proposal – which could be adopted earlier than Autumn 2023 as planned in the Commission Work Programme (possibly spring 2023).
Upcoming consultation deadlines:
- Deadline to respond to the call for evidence on the Fitness check of the application of the polluter-pay principle: 9 December 2022. A public consultation will follow in the first quarter of 2023.
- Deadline to respond to the public consultation on the revision of the Food Contact Material legislation: 11 January 2023.
- Deadline to comment on the draft Commission Proposal revising the lists of surface and groundwater pollutants: 27 January 2023 (extended).
- Deadline to comment on the draft Commission Proposal revising the Urban Waste Water Treatment Directive: 27 January 2023 (extended).
- Deadline to comment on the draft Commission Proposal revising the Ambient Air Quality Directive: 27 January 2023 (extended).
- Deadline to comment on the draft Commission Proposal for a Regulation on Packaging and Packaging Waste: 27 January 2023.
Other EU policy updates :
- The Commission adopted on 30 November its Circular Economy Package including the Commission proposal for a Regulation on Packaging and Packaging Waste and a Communication on an EU policy framework on biobased, biodegradable and compostable plastics.
- The first Zero Pollution Monitoring and Outlook Report will be presented at the Zero Pollution Stakeholder Conference on 14/12/2022. The implementation of the Zero Pollution Monitoring and Outlook Framework stems from the Zero Pollution Action Plan and aims to monitor overall pollution levels and impacts in order to track progress towards achieving the objectives of the Green Deal. A second Zero Pollution Monitoring and Outlook Report will be published in 2024.
Gantt Chart of upcoming actions related to persistent and mobile substances
Click here to find Gantt chart of upcoming actions related to regulations that could impact the use and management of persistent and mobile substances in Europe.
For more information of regulations under the regulatory watch, visit https://zeropm.eu/regulatory-watch/